Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Yummy in my tummy.

The Veggie Grill (Plaze El Segundo)
720 Allied Way, El Segundo, CA 90245
Phone 310-535-0025 | hours 11am to 10pm
www.veggiegrill.com

Vegan Carrot Cake from The Veggie Grill (El Segundo)

Today Amber and I commenced "Vegan Monday." At first I wanted to go to The Green Temple in Redondo Beach but I guess they are closed Mondays?! After viewing their menu, I decided on Stuff I Eat in Inglewood. Picked Amber up from work and to the hood we headed. 15 minutes later we pull up and guess what- they are closed. What is up with vegan restaurants being closed on Mondays? We decided to head back towards home and just eat at The Veggie Grill in El Segundo. Good thing it wasn't a bad drive at all.

I guess everything happens for a reason because The Veggie Grill was scrumptious. We walked in to a more than life sized menu on the wall. We ordered and paid at the counter and took our numbers to our seats on the patio. The food came out in about 10 minutes which was crazy fast but it did not taste like fast food one bit. Everything was fresh and delicious. I tried the Grillin Chicken Sandwich (with avacado, lettuce, tomato, red onion, cilantro pesto, and chipotle ranch on a wheat roll) with a side of Chili (you have a choice of red cabbage slow or chili). Amber tried the Baja Fiesta Salad (romaine, papaya, avocado, roasted corn salsa, quinoa, cucumber, cilantro, tortilla strips and ginger-papaya vinaigrette). My fake chicken was freakishly similar to real chicken. The look, taste and texture was very appealing. I forgot I wasn't eating real meat!

After our dinner we got dessert- OF COURSE :) Options are carrot cake, chocolate pudding or chocolate chip cookies. The both of us thought we'd go for the cake. Let me tell you- it was amazing. Tasted like a traditional carrot cake. I swear! You know how most "healthy" foods are just a smidge different...wasn't the case with this carrot cake. I am queen of desserts so trust me when I say it was amazing!

All in all it was a great first vegan restaurant experience. Decent portions and decent prices. Friendly staff. Clean and organized restaurant. If a non-vegan can enjoy it, I believe its a pretty sweet place.

Taste: *****

Selection: ****

Cost: $

Staff: *****

Service: *****

Dessert: *****

No comments: