Thursday, September 23, 2010

My Sojourn in Santa Barbara.

Sojourner Cafe
134 E. Canon Perdido Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Phone: (805) 965-7922 | Hours: Open 11-11, Sun. 11-10
www.sojournercafe.com



One sweet day my cousin and I went to Santa Barbara to visit one of her best friends. I have to say that it was one of the most beautiful drives I've taken in California. No it was not blue skies and sunshine but rather a journey through low and thick fog. SO COOL. When we were along the coast it felt like Pirates of the Caribbean. I don't know, I like that kind of stuff. It was eerie, and beautiful.

Anyway, we headed to Sojourner Cafe because they had vegan options and that was going to be best for me. (I love the people in my life for being so considerate and openminded!)

Its a very cute and quaint cafe on a charming street. All organic and A-OK with me. They had a lovely menu that included meals like Chili Tempeh Tacos (Spicy tempeh
blend in warm corn tortillas with rice, black beans and guac), Golden Indian Dhal (Stewed red lentils, vegetables and spices over wild rice with yogurt and chutney), Curry Chicken Salad (Diced chicken breast, yogurt, currants and coconut served with rice over greens and a side of mango chutney).

Vegan options include Jumbo Pasta
Shells (Vegan tofu "ricotta" blend topped with sweet tomato marinara served with steamed veggies and non-dairy garlic toast or the Veggie Stir Fry (Vegetables in special blended soy sauce, jalepenos, ginger, garlic, cilantro and cashews).

I decided to try the Jumbo Pasta Shells!
The portion was perfect. It was kind of funny to me because it was literally two JUMBO shells. Not a cup of over-sized pasta shells as I had imagined. Anyway, it was a light, tasty and refreshing meal. Nothing about it resembled ricotta or any type of cheese but thats okay. The marinara was to my liking because most of the time its too sweet or too this and that. The garlic bread- DELICIOUS! Who knew fake butter could be so yummy.

I opted FOR dessert after my meal. Surprise right? I believe I got a lemon poppy seed buttercream cake served with fresh strawberries. Vegan of course. I ate it all, by myself. Enough said.

Desserts change daily but some include Vegan Stevia Whole Spelt Cherry Cobbler, Vegan Agave Carob Peanut Butter and Seed Orb, Vegan Maple Pumpkin Bar, Coconut Banana Bread Pudding, Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Cheesecake and much much more! The dessert menu has a key informing you of things such as "ND- No dairy, NE- No eggs, NN- No nuts, NW- No wheat, NS- No soy, B- butter, M- Margarine, CO- Canola Oil, BS- Brown sugar, VS- Vegan sugar, H- honey..and MORE! So incredibly helpful.

Also, if you are a fan of teas, they have a wonderful selection along with various coffee/espresso beverages, shakes, smoothies, fresh juices, and sparkling juices and water.

Friendly staff, fairly priced for the most part. Some entrees will be a bit more expensive than others. All in all, I enjoyed my dining experience here and I would definitely have another meal at Sojourner Cafe if ever I am in Santa Barbara again- which I'm sure I will be!

Taste: *****

Selection: *****

Cost: $$

Staff: *****

Service: ****

Dessert: *****



No comments: