Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A new journey: Buildin that body baby.


As you probably know by now, I have food allergies. It has been a crazy year trying to figure out this body of mine. All that I had been dealing with regarding my body and health sort of inspired me to consider going back to school for fitness and nutrition. I thought that having a formal education in these areas would obviously provide me with knowledge to better myself and my health. Couldn't hurt right? Also, it'd be something positive to do while pursuing acting as there can be a lot of "down time: in this industry. It allows for more hours to work my other jobs, but I also want to continue learning and bettering myself and not just devote myself to working during "off" time in acting. Anyway, I decided I wanted to take that route so I began to research different schools and programs and sent out some emails for info. This was something that I thought a lot about during my last trip to Chicago to see Tony Robbins (it was huge time of reflection and learning!). I came to the conclusion that it was going to require much more time than I was probably anticipating. One thing that was and is very important to me is that I want to be involved in something else but cannot let if affect or take away from my main goal: acting. If an activity has the potential to make me deviate from my priority, it's not going to work. I only say "make me" because school would be a big commitment and if I start something, I need to finish it. During all of this, I somehow fell upon bodybuilding and competing in bodybuilding. The more research I did, the more interested I became. Towards the end of my trip to Chicago, my heart became increasingly set on this. As soon as I got back home, I aggressively researched this world, read stories, and reached out to people I knew who could give some insight and advice. I was so excited I even wrote to people who inspired me in the world of bodybuilding- just found them through google-complete strangers to me! After day one of being back, I was absolutely set on competing.


So heres the news:

IM GOING TO COMPETE!


It is going to take insane discipline and obviously a lot of hard work but it allows for flexibility in terms of gym time and it's not going to be taking up hours of my day like homework would! I have decided that I'm taking my health into my own hands. To immerse myself into something positive and get in the best shape I can, eat the best I can is a great thing. I don't want to focus on what I "can't eat" anymore. I joke about it, but the last few weeks I've really tried to change the way I look at my allergies and my health and my thoughts are about moving foward. I don't want to focus on what is unresolved or how doctors haven't been able to do much for me. I'm going to do something for myself! Mind, heart and body are all connected and with my mind and my heart in this, how could it not help my body!


Now, you were probably freaking out as you read the paragraph above. Maybe you were asking yourself, what does it mean to "compete" ...or maybe you thought, "bodybuilding?! Nathalie wants to look like a man?!?" ......1. I will explain. 2. No.


So here's how it works. Yeah, the sport is called bodybuilding but there are different categories you compete in: Bodybuilding, Figure, Bikini and Fitness.


You can see the obvious physical differences with the pictures below. With the first three categories, contestants pose. With Fitness (not pictured), there is a routine that is performed with specific requirements in the choreography to showcase strength, flexibility, etc.


BIKINI



FIGURE




BODYBUILDING

I have chosen to compete in BIKINI. Oh hey girl.

Do not be fooled by the title. It doesn't take any less time, energy, effort or discipline. It's not a bikini contest where you just want to simply look hot in a swimsuit. The focus is not so much gaining weight (as figure or bodybuilding would require) but to become lean and look more toned and fit than the average person. Yes, I will be gaining muscle, but I will not be as muscular as figure or bodybuilding competitors.


Week one is done and today is my first full day of rest and recovery. Tomorrow, the cycle repeats itself. Its been an amazing and fulfilling journey so far. I am unbelievably motivated and excited about this! I have been doing research on past competitors for the competition I want to compete in and its quite intimidating. I see why certain people place last, in the middle and FIRST! Even though its intimidating, its pushing me that much more and I have a better idea of the body I need to attain.


I want to encourage everyone to do something positive for their health. Its a great feeling to eat well and be active. I have always tried to be conscious of such habits but now I am jumping in all the way! Not only is this benefiting me physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I have also once again proven to myself the kind of drive and commitment I have when I make a decision to pursue something. Its a great reminder of a positive attribute. You should remind yourself of these things often- even in the smallest ways! The courage I seem to muster up, always surprises me too. It takes a lot to voice your dreams and goals- especially in something that is so foreign! You are in a more vulnerable position and yes, people might actually be able witness your trails/failures but you need SUPPORT and encouragement. So, put yourself out there. You will be a source of support and encouragement to others when you do this as well. Also, every day I am at the gym is a little victory in more ways than one. We know how intimidating that place can be. Especially as girls.......lifting weights on top of that! I have managed to go to the gym each day eager, focused and with a brave heart- asking questions and asking for help from the employees when I need to and not being afraid to be among the "savages" (what I call the guys who congregate in the free weights area).


I can't believe I am doing this, I can't believe everyone knows now!!! I will continue to share my journey and I hope it can inspire you as others have inspired me.


Some thanks and acknowledgments are in order before I wrap this up!

Danielle, an old friend who competes as well in Seattle was so gracious when I first messaged her with my story and a thousand questions! Definitely one of my first inspirations. She provided me with what resources she knew of and was just incredibly excited for me and encouraging. Someone who I have reached out to and has completely been an angel to me is Nickie! She has offered her guidance, knowledge and support and I could not be more thankful for her. She helped me put together my training program and has been such an encouragement. Definitely an inspiration to me! Her first competition in figure, she placed 5th out of 60 girls! How incredible is that? She is currently training to compete in fitness. It will be for the Tahoe Show August 27th, in Lake Tahoe (duh). Buy your tickets for the show at tahoeshow.com and support her!! It hasn't only been these two who have been major blessing but also my friends who I have shared this with prior to this post--Nick, Stephanie, Anlee, Greg, Jaymi, Erin, Lanni and who ever else I have spoken with..all have been sooo encouraging and supportive and it MEANS MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW! Every little thing, I notice, take in and am so thankful for!!!! ak;sdjf..and my mama, OF COURSE:)


Be brave enough to pursue what is in your heart and to share that with others!


P.s Good vibes, prayers, words of encouragement and any advice is ALWAYS welcomed and appreciated.

Oh and I am planning on competing end of October or early/mid November in either Sacramento, Los Angeles or Culver City (all in california for now)..or maybe all? haha...please pray that I am led to the right one!!




LOVE,

NAT.


Since this is such a long post already, I am going to save the rest of the details (training, diet etc) for another post. Keep your eyes open!!!


2 comments:

Danielle L. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle L. said...

I'm so excited for you Nathalie! You are going to do great!! Your motivation, determination, and knowledge is going to take you so far in the bodybuilding industry! I'm excited to follow you on your journey through your blog!! :) GO GIRRRL!