Sunday, May 15, 2011

Healthy snack.


Farmers Market, oh how I love thee. I always try to buy produce from local farmers markets. One of my favorites is every Wednesday in El Segundo right in front of Whole Foods. This past Wednesday I picked up some awesome vegan treats (I will blog about at a later time), hummus, eggplant dip, red pepper dip, fresh romaine lettuce, asparagus, carrots, fuji apples, cherries and strawberries.



















The strawberries were incredibly sweet and juicy. Tasty on its own of course, but one day, I wanted to spruce them up a little. This is what I came up with.

Topped with shredded unsweetened coconut, sliced raw almonds and pumpkin pie spice. So yummy!

Its simple. Just dice and slice up your strawberries and add as much of each ingredient as you'd like. You can also use cinnamon if you do not have pumpkin pie spice. Just an easy and healthy way to make ordinary strawberries taste a bit more exciting.

This combination is great with oatmeal for breakfast as well. To turn it into a dessert, just drizzle melted dark chocolate on top!

I love fruit. Apples, blueberries, mangos, bananas, pears, persimmons- the list goes on. A great option for a healthy snack or healthy dessert.


FUN FACTS:
(According to www.londonstrawberryfestival.com)

"Strawberries are low in fat, low calorie, high in vitamin C, fiber, folic acid and potassium."

"Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the Spring."

"Strawberries are a member of the rose family."

No comments: